Cauliflower is seriously SO versatile. I am constantly seeing new ideas pop up for this low calorie veggie that’s rich in potassium and vitamin A. While I’ve often seen it come up as a substitute for starches or grains, like as rice or pizza dough, I decided to supplement it as a the protein for dinner one night.
-One head of cauliflower
-smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt, in equal proportions
*One medium head of cauliflower serves three
1) Start by cleaning the cauliflower. Wash all surface areas, removing dirt and any blemishes. Gently tug off the leaves at the base of the plant. DON’T take off the stem!! That’s very important for keeping the “steaks” intact.
2) Cut the cauliflower in half, gently sawing back and forth through the center of the stalk.
3) Cut your half through the center of the stock again. The goal is to create a flat piece of cauliflower. Repeat until you have the entire head divided into “steaks.” Mine kind of fell apart with the last piece, so I packaged that and saved it for another use.
4) Put your steaks on a sheet pan, and brush them with olive oil.
5) Sprinkle on the seasonings of your choice. I went for a mildly spicy blend that I think went really well with the cauliflower. I’ve tried it with steak seasoning, just salt and pepper… It works really well for a lot of different seasoning combinations.
6) Bake uncovered in a 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes. I checked on mine after about 20 minutes, and probably could have pulled the out then for firmer cauliflower, but decided to let it cook a bit longer.
There ya go! Eat as a main as a substitute for steak, or as a side. 🙂